Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, April 24, 2009

April Wrap-Up

First, I apologize to my legions of readers for skipping last week’s post. I’m picking away at a complicated, long-range planning topic that’s not ready for prime time. Last week I had nothing else worth saying, and so I said nothing. What a radical concept for a blogger! This week you at least get the month-end wrap-up (yes, I know that there’s nearly a week left in April, but my accounting month ends on the 25th). And so, with a day and a half left in the accounting month, we celebrate another highly successful month.

Total income
: +33%

Total COGS
: +39.2%

Payroll
: +143.8% (yay me!)

Net Income (Profit)
: -171.3% (ouch!)


The bottom line this April came in $246 below last year because there was an extra payday this year. My year-to-date bottom line is +38% on top-line sales of +33.5%.

My almighty spreadsheet says that Curio City can afford to raise payroll from 18.25 to 18.75% of gross. It’s only $324 per year, but it’s a nice step closer to my ultimate goal of 20%. For reference, payroll started out at 10% and had only grown to 11% by June 2007.

May’s numbers are considerably more challenging. I’ll feel good about the rest of this year if I can bag May’s sales plan.


I shall endeavor to wrap up my Big Post in time for next Friday. If I cannot, maybe I’ll break it down into more manageable chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google