Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, June 19, 2009

The QuickBooks Crisis II

Prolonged contemplation kept leading me back to three thoughts: Whether I like it or not, QuickBooks is one of the key tools I need to run my business, and it will no longer run on my old hardware. As an Internet business, I need to keep my technology current. And I have a budget for “technology” that I would not have completely drained otherwise (although I am planning to pay for a Sunshop version upgrade in a few weeks).

Dell had a tempting sale on their Vostro line of business laptops (which, as a Babylon 5 fan, I simply must call the “Vorlon”). Vorlons won praise in my source for all things techy, the Octopus Overlords computing forum. The deal I was looking at expired within 48 hours. So I jumped. Yes, I bought a new computer.

On one hand, this is a bad development for all of the reasons that I laid out last week. OTOH, I haven’t had a new computer since 2005, and I’m really looking forward to moving into my new souped-up Vorlon – I upgraded the CPU from 2.1 to 2.4 GHz, added a 256 MB Nvidia video card for gaming, and upgraded to a “wide view” (higher resolution) screen. Obviously, I have to name it Kosh.

Kosh is not due to land until around July 1. I hope this will keep me current for another four years:

Vostro 1520, Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade Unit Price $1,143.00 (Sale price $948, delivered)

  • Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade
  • Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
  • Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz, 2 DIMM
  • Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9300M GS 256MB
  • Hard Drive 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with Free Fall Sensor
  • LCDs 15.4" Premium WXGA+ Anti-Glare Display (Wide View)
  • Optical Drives 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability, Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™ DX 8.1
  • Wireless Cards Dell Wireless™ 1397 802.11b/g Mini Card
  • Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

ACCESSORIES
SanDisk 8GB Hi-Speed USB Cruzer Micro Drive with U3 technology

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google