Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, October 12, 2012

Superstition






I’m not the superstitious sort. Far from it; I’m slavishly logical, scientific, practical, and skeptical. I have no respect for magical thinking. I don’t believe in gods or demons or spirits. And yet, the irrational still creeps into my mind somehow. It must just be the way humans are wired.

These are my Curio City superstitions:

  • It’s going to be a crappy day if I don’t have at least one sale waiting for me when I log on in the morning. Conversely, it’s going to be a good day if I wake up to two or more orders.
  • I won’t get another sale until I enter the one that just came in into both Excel and Quickbooks.
  • All hell will break loose if I close Outlook before my batch settles at midnight.
  • “A watched pot never boils” -- Nobody will buy anything while I’m watching them in Google’s realtime Analytics.
  • Making a blog post every Friday -- even one as lame as this – somehow keeps me tethered to the world, even though as few as 12 Facebook viewers ever see these autoposts.
  • Telephone calls are always bad news. I guess that’s more of a truism than a superstition, since ¾ of my incoming calls really are either complaints or sales pitches. (I'm too polite. Telemarketers need to hear that "no" means "NO, never, go away" and not "try again in a few months").

Now that my Friday post has warded off the evil spirits for another week, I can get a little work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google