Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer Doldrums Already



As much as I enjoyed raking in money from all of the bird kite dropships in May, the falcons and hawks are now coming home to roost in a $1,400 nest. I was able to push that bill into July's credit card statement...but paying for May's merchandise in the slowest month of the year is going to be a challenge. The bill for my belated tax return preparation finally came, too. The old familiar cash crisis is back. 

Kite sales have apparently peaked a month earlier than expected. Jackite still hasn't replenished Create-a-Bird (costing me at least a couple hundred bucks a month) and now they're sold out of nearly all of their fiberglass poles, too. No more poles means no more dropships. While my credit card welcomes the relief, my checking account does not.

I've taken a whack out of one of the few variable expenses I can control: pay-per-click ads (even mentioning that topic is throwing chum in the water for the SEO sharks). Spending $30 per day on clicks when sales are averaging $65 is suicidal. I hope that cutting advertising won't prove to be a slower form of death.  

In spite of all this, I'm resolved to go through with my website upgrade during the week in July when I would ordinarily be on vacation. Out of all the "extra" expenses I've taken on this year, this is the only one that might increase sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google