Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 31, 2013

Cushioning the Great Decline



The best thing about May is that it’s over. I got the bloodbath that I expected, but I’m sanguine. Last May was my best non-Christmas week ever. May 2013 came in a little over the more realistic benchmark of May 2011…and that’s very good, in light of the death of my mainstay Panther Vision caps. I’d be in serious guano if it weren’t for bird kites.

May:

Total income: -33.8%
Total COGS: -34.5%
Payroll: -8.3%
Marketing: -22.9%
Net Income (Profit): -92.9% (-$666)

Year to Date: 

Total income: -21.4%
Total COGS: -28.9%
Payroll: -13.8%
Marketing: -25.8%
Net Income (Profit): -9.1% (-$121)

Wow, not a single black number in the lot. Does all that red ink hide any good news? YTD marketing and COGS both fell by more than income did, and my profit is only down by $121 on a 21% sales decline. So I’m successfully managing the decline, which is the best that ordinary Americans can expect these days. The worst year-over-year results of 2013 should now be behind me. Sales crashed in July 2012 and the ensuing slump didn’t ease up until December, so I might be able to whittle down the deficit a little over the second half of the year. 

June never amounts to anything, though. Last June was thoroughly average, so I’ll be happy with mediocrity this year, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google