Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, November 01, 2013

October Surprise




I didn’t think it was possible to top last October, but here it is: With a day and a half left in the fiscal month, Excel says I’m up by $3 for my second-best October ever (after 2009). Quickbooks is slightly more generous.

October

Total income: +5.6%
Total COGS: +5.8%
Payroll: +12.6%
Marketing: +25.3%
Net Income (Profit): +15.8% (+$44)

Year to Date 

Total income: -13.0%
Total COGS: -17.2%
Payroll: -13.4%
Marketing: -0.4%
Net Income (Profit): -59.8% (-$614)

The advertising increase is still a problem, but it's not the disaster it has been since I allowed Google to change some settings. I have mostly changed them back.

This is a relief because I’m doubling down on Christmas like never before. I’m buried in Christmas merchandise a few weeks earlier than usual and I’ve run up a frightening credit card balance to do it. I could easily spend thousands more, and I just might do that if the omens look good.

So here we are at the first of the two months that really matter…the Corn-n-Tater media thing (a scant two weeks away) and my overflowing cellar give me hope that the YTD bottom line could still turn black for the year…and that’s what it’s all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google