Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, February 28, 2014

February's Cold Numbers




I don’t know how much foul weather affects online sales, but I’m pretty sure February’s unrelenting cold and storms didn’t help.  
 
February

Total income: +2.3%
Total COGS: +2.6%
Payroll: +14.9%
Marketing: +7.2%
Net Income (Profit): -58.8% (-$156)

Year to Date

Total income: -2.4%
Total COGS: +2.2%
Payroll: -4.2%
Marketing: +5.2%
Net Income (Profit): -51.7% (-$248)

The first two weeks of February demolished LY and even met my ambitious plan. The third week – school vacation week -- was a bit slower than expected; people don’t shop when they aren’t at work and their kids are underfoot. I still expected a strong month until this week inexplicably fell flat. There’s black ink, yes, but not the sea of it that I expected a couple of weeks ago. Average-to-good sales for the remaining day and a half could still turn that last number black, and March’s targets aren’t too scary.

My unplanned smartphone purchase comprises the whole decline in year-over-year profit and boosts Verizon into the rarified club of entities that profit from Curio City, along with Google and my payment gateway.

Only Switchables are really selling. Paradoxically, that might be due to supply problems; if I’ve currently got an unprecedented 14 styles on backorder then more successful stores must be in even worse shape than I am. 

Paying for my annual report, corporate registration, and tax preparation are March's goals. They were February's goals, too, but I no longer have the luxury of missing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google