Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 22, 2014

Lipstick On a Pig?





Massachusetts enjoyed a beautiful, if late, summer: slightly drier and cooler than normal, it reminded me what my favorite season was like before global warming turned it into a sweat lodge. Curio City had a decent summer, too, beating LY's dismal numbers despite being on autopilot. Next week's numbers will reveal a solid August, if not a hot one.

I hate change in general, and I especially hate to perturb things that are ticking along nicely. Alas, with Christmas right around the corner it's time to take control again. Next week I'm finally going to hire Turnkey to upgrade Sunshop, as I've been threatening to do all year. That's a gamble in itself. I've always paid a contractor for upgrades in order to preserve the many customizations that have accumulated over the years, but Turnkey will do a plain-vanilla job for a lot less money. What scares me is abandoning the "Modern Black" theme that I've used for a decade in favor of a new standard template -- one that, most critically, is mobile-friendly. 

Depending on how long it takes to massage the new template to my liking, and on how fussy I am, business might plunge and turn August from another modest money-maker into a loser. When it's done, it will be the same old Sunshop underneath with a dramatically new look on the surface. The so-called "responsive theme" should more than make up for the hiccup as I'm able to court mobile users instead of trying to avoid them. When I finally get through this transition I can bring in some new products -- something that I haven't done all year -- just as Christmas starts ramping up.

It's going to be OK. Isn't it? Somebody please tell me that it's going to be OK.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google