Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 29, 2015

Back to the Sea of Red





Sales were tracking LY very closely until business died over the Memorial Day weekend and recovered too slowly to save the month, racking up a $600 shortfall just this week (I'll reduce that by $100 in the next day and a half if normality holds up). If it were up to me I'd abolish all holidays except Christmas, St Patricks Day, Independence Day and Halloween. What's the point of a holiday that doesn't trick people into buying unnecessary stuff?  

I did prevent a minor disaster from blossoming into a major one by deflecting a $300 return. 

May 
 
Total income: -15.8%
Total COGS: -6.8%
Payroll: -4.9%
Marketing: -2.4%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -122.5% (-$447)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$82

Year to Date

Total income: -7.1%
Total COGS: -2.8%
Payroll: -3.3%
Marketing: -3.1%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -7.4% (-$60)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$872

June is ordinarily a sleepy month with easy targets. Not this June. Large orders for 6-LED caps and Bald Eagle kites pumped LY way over normal, so I'm going to lose more ground unless something comparable materializes. Another golf ball shopper teased me with a $500 sale this week and hasn't formally snatched it away yet. The last three or four trolls that came my way all fell through so I'm about due to score a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google