Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 22, 2015

PayPal Is Trying to Kill Me Again



After surviving PayPal's last attempt on my life, their email entitled " ACTION MAY BE REQUIRED: Important merchant integration upgrade information" doesn't worry me as much as it probably should. It says:

"Because these changes are technical in nature, we advise that you consult with your partner, website vendor, or individuals responsible for your PayPal integration. They will be able to identify what, if any, changes are needed. If you do not have a technology team, we recommend you find one, and we can work with them"

In other words, don't even try to understand this. Gobbledygook about SSL certificates follows. So I'm forced into supplication again. I have to figure out who can help me before I can determine if I need help or not. Since I buy my SSL cert from my web host, I started with a post in their forums. No response. I made the same post to a message board with a lot of IT people; no response. Apparently everybody else is about as interested in this as I am. I'll have to deploy bigger guns next week.   
  
*****************************

As long as people are trying to kill me...GoDaddy is terminating the free web hosting that they gave me in exchange for buying my URLs through them for the past 10 years, according to an email entitled " Action required: Migrate your free hosting to Plesk". They're shutting down the old server and offering one free year on the new one, after which normal rates will apply. It's not worth the bother of moving or trying to remember to cancel after a year. If you want to see a 10-year-old amateur placeholder website before it disappears forever, go to www.krakenenterprises.com.

I hope they don't kill the associated email address, too. I've been using it for 10 years. I'll cope if they do, but I'll miss it.

******************************  

A major flurry of Dove kite sales tipped me off that Christians are about to celebrate another holiday. Turns out that most sects observe "Pentecost," from the Greek word for "50th day." They believe that seven weeks after Easter the Holy Ghost caused some shenanigans that inspired the disciple Peter to give his first sermon, and "the church" began. The Holy Ghost is often portrayed as a dove, hence the kite sales. It is also commonly called the Holy Spirit now, probably because children are afraid of ghosts, holy or otherwise.  

******************************

My back is 95% recovered and full operations are restored. No doctor was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google