Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, July 31, 2015

July's Humdrum Numbers

The black month that I'd thought was in the bag has turned into another nail-biter. Quickbooks says that revenue's $124 in the red as of this morning while Excel argues that it's up by $37; the remaining day and a half might still persuade Quickbooks to go black.   

When Excel and Quickbooks argue, I always back Excel even though Quickbooks always wins in the end.

Whatever. Cash flow is king, and a lousy start to the week left me $200 shy of paying off Mastercard on time. Credit card interest is factoring into this year's numbers for the first time ever.

July

Total income: -3.6%
Total COGS: +3.3%
Payroll: -17.1%
Marketing: -47.2%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: +46.9% (+$321)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$364


Year to Date

Total income: -8.3%
Total COGS: -5.1%
Payroll: -7.2%
Marketing: -10.5%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -10.8% (-$203)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$2,084

I lost less money this July than I lost last July, so I suppose that passes for a win. Really, though, a few percent one way or the other doesn't make much difference until the rubber hits the road in September.

Cost of Goods Sold is a bit of a mystery. I can't figure out why COGS isn't rising and falling in lockstep with income; the only line item that seems out of line is "COGS other", which is the aggregate amount that I actually paid for the specific merchandise that sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google