Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 28, 2015

August Numbers On the Brink



Excel had this August running $32 ahead of LY as this week began. One year ago, Sunshop got a version upgrade and I switched to the "responsive" template that I'm still using. That change set off a big drop in sales and a corresponding chance to make up a little ground this year. Normal sales this week should have put August $200-300 in the black, and indeed I'm $83 to the good right now. So what does QuickBooks say about that?


August

Total income: -2.2%
Total COGS: -0.6%
Payroll: -1.4%
Marketing: +22.4%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -31.5% (-$68)
Actual Profit/Loss: +$148


Year to Date

Total income: -7.3%
Total COGS: -4.5%
Payroll: -6.5%
Marketing: -7.5%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -14% (-$233)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$1,897

This is why I can't have nice things. The next day and a half might still deliver the 92 bucks that would nudge QuickBooks' top line into the black, but I'm going to call it a win based on Excel's version of reality. 

Long-time readers might remember my surprised disappointment when the aforementioned template change dragged all of September down; sure, change is usually for the worse, but I was looking for a small bump from the new mobile-friendly look anyway. Well, what goes around comes around: Last September's slump makes this year's target numbers look easy.

Looks can deceive, though. This September has its own set of challenges that I'll complain about next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google