Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 20, 2016

Can't...stop...spending





Jackite unofficially came into some Falcon kites, so I grabbed some of those while the grabbing was good. The bills for my wave of Pentecostal Dove kite dropships are coming due. Souvenirs.nyc, my partner in selling Metal Earth models, decided to stock a small selection in their new showroom; I had to order those (and of course I added a few new ones to my selection while I was at it). Two customers cleaned out 36 of the 48 Switchables fixtures that should have lasted me for months; I can't very well run out of my #3 all-time bestseller, so that's another reorder. Switchables will release a batch of new designs at the end of the month, so I'm going to need another order. Golf balls stirred feebly after a long hibernation; I need to reorder a few of the most popular designs. Panther Vision just introduced a new camouflage pattern; even though lighted caps have died off to almost nothing, and AFAIK it's not hunting season anywhere, a new Panther design is still a must-have (and, believe it or not, I'm still selling enough beanies to need a reorder soon). Intuit just cut the price of QuickBooks Pro 2016 from $200 to $90 (with the backup CD, or $80 for download-only version with no ability to reinstall) due to a security hole that doesn't affect me because I don't store credit card info; I need to upgrade anyway and that's too good a price to pass up. 

A few hundred bucks here, a couple hundred there...before you know it, I've added another thousand bucks to my debt, and still my appetite is not satisfied.

Most of that debt came from buying way too much advertising last December, and the rest of it is from Metal Earth orders. My dropship arrangement with souvenirs.nyc has borne scant fruit, but I am gradually expanding my selection anyway with next Christmas in mind. Every time circumstances compel me to reorder, I bring in a few new models despite knowing that I'll sit on them for the next six months. Buying Christmas stuff now is not the smartest move. But if I'm going to enjoy a big payoff in November I need to lay the groundwork during these slow months. 

By making just the minimum payment on my Amex bill this month, I expect to retire $2,000 of my $3,900 Mastercard balance. It's really just whack-a-mole as my Amex balance has already shot over $3,500, but at least shifting the debt to the zero-interest card will save me $75 a month. That's a start.

The good news is that it's time to put in my vegetable garden, so I'll be neglecting Curio City for the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google