Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, May 29, 2016

May Numbers: MOTS





Statistically this was the worst May since 2010 and the 5th-worst (or 6th-best) ever. It felt like a better month than the numbers make it out to be; I certainly worked more than I would have liked to do. But Excel says I came up $313 short where Quickbooks reports a gap of nearly $900. I don't have the patience to figure out the discrepancy. Excel feels truer but Quickbooks is official, and so these are its numbers:

May

Total income: -19.8%
Total COGS: -23%
Payroll: -12%
Marketing: +2.5%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -426.1% (-$411)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$315

YTD

Total income: -17.2%
Total COGS: -17.3%
Payroll: -19.6%
Marketing: +3.2%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -153.1% (-$1,329)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$2,198

Cost of Goods Sold fell by more than total income did but I can't seem to knock advertising back any further than I've already done. This would be a good month to quit Constant Contact, if I can find the time to clean up and export the mailing list. I put a lot of time into gardening last week and I ain't done yet. 

Believe it or not, the Create-a-Bird is actually back after being out of stock for at least two years. I've sold nearly 600 of those to date; it will move the needle a little if it picks right up where it left off. The falcon kite is in production and should be abundant again in a few weeks. Those Create-a-birds made me cough up a few hundred more bucks that I don't actually have, and Jackite still aren't saying anything to me about eagles.

June ushers in the summer doldrums that won't lift until November. An optimist might say that this is an opportunity to regain some lost ground versus LY. At least, I think that's the kind of thing optimists say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google