Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, February 24, 2017

Race to the Bottom




I wasn't expecting another double-digit decline because I was barely paying attention. At this time LY, Curio City was enjoying a 6-cent YTD profit; this year it's suffering a $295 loss. But there are some hidden Blue Hills startup costs dragging it down, so it's not a dramatic move.  

February

Total income: -15.7%
Total COGS: -13.2%
Payroll: -14.5%
Marketing: -13.8%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: -491,533% (-$295)
Actual Profit/Loss: -$295

2017 YTD

Total income: -8%
Total COGS: -4.5%
Payroll: -60.4%
Marketing: -21.1%
Net Income (Profit) vs LY: +678.2% (+$390)
Actual Profit/Loss: +$332

I didn't divide Blue Hills and Curio City into separate "classes" until the second week of February, and I can't accurately compare year-over-year numbers because there were no classes last year. $130 worth of Blue Hills startup costs dragged the overall numbers down. On the bright side, Blue Hills should receive its first income next week. That's going to wreak havoc on my numbers for the rest of the year...but, oh well.  

Excel says this was the second-worst February ever. Another $150 would bump it up to third-worst. Last March was actually a fairly decent month, so I have low expectations for beating it this year. Jackite's badly-needed pole shipment has slipped from "March" to "the end of April," so no hope there.

I'm sad to see a sixth consecutive year of declining sales taking shape. But I'm not surprised, since I'm spending as little money as possible and most of my attention is elsewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google