Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, September 22, 2017

I Can't Complain

Oh, sure I can...but I won't. The cathartic "Things I Hate" post that I've been picking away at will stay personal because:

1. It doesn't say anything I haven't said before;
2. Nobody likes a whiner;
3. It boils down to one word: "People"; and
4. Nuisance calls have dropped off noticeably since I shut down AdWords a few weeks ago.

This Monday's Curio City payday was so small -- $48.79 for two weeks, before taxes -- that I didn't even bother creating a check. I'll fold it into my next payday instead. I'm sure this has nothing to do with #4 above.

**********************

MIT approved my invoice for the work that I did in early August. When that check lands, I will have earned twice as much this year as I did last year...with three months left to go. It's still chicken feed by normal people's reckoning, but having a lot more chicken feed is a big deal to me. 

A web publisher dangled a regular, 15-hour-per-week editing gig in front of me. It's the second time this year that he's approached me and then backed off after an initial conversation. I haven't worked regular hours in at least 13 years, so this would be a big deal to me, too. I won't give up near-complete control over my schedule unless the job feels right, and this one's "on-call" requirement beyond the regular hours makes me nervous. He's also under the impression that one can edit seven to 10 1,000-word articles in three hours. I can proofread that quickly, but nobody can properly edit 1,000 words in 20-25 minutes. I probably put him off when I said that it takes an hour to copy edit 1,000 words if fact-checking is included; that's realistic (in fact, I just spent 2.25 hours giving a 1,700-word article the full treatment), but I don't think it's what he wanted to hear.  

I'd sacrifice some of my autonomy to turn Blue Hills into a reliable paycheck, but I won't make a vaguely defined commitment or exaggerate my productivity. After a few emails he said that he's thinking about hiring a staff editor instead, and left with it "I'll be in touch," so that's the end of that...for now. If he does come back for a third round, I'm going to make sure it happens on my terms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google