Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, September 08, 2017

The High Finance Life of a CEO



Every year we pass the date of our own death without knowing it. We're approaching exactly one year until Curio City's demise, although I don't know the exact date yet. I have to renew my SSL certificate by Sept. 16, and even though that's only $35, I don't see myself doing it again a year from now. Next year's SSL expiration date will probably be Curio City's, too.

A year is not long at all in some ways, and a very long time in other ways. Circumstances could convince me to keep it going beyond then (or to shut it down earlier). If this Christmas leaves me with a lot of stock still hanging around, and if it still brings in more money than it costs to sell it, then I might persuade myself to flog it through one more Christmas after this one. As long as I'm turning dead merchandise into money and generating a regular paycheck, it makes sense to keep going -- especially if I can restore payroll to its former level after I get out of debt. In my wildest fantasy, Curio City might even buy me a new phone or laptop before it goes toes-up.

Payroll's going to have to up its game, though. Between losing First Class shipping rates for five days and having to issue a large refund, Curio City turned in its worst week in 10 years. As of this morning this week's paycheck is $8.06 (before taxes!), and I had to put in more hours than normal to pack up four international shipments. That's not even a pack of smokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google