Welcome to Curious Business

Every Friday, I post a small insight into running Curio City and/or Blue Hills Editorial Services. My most recent posts are directly below. You can also start with the first post, or use the subject labels to the right to home in on particular topics. Feel free to comment on anything that interests you.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, February 19, 2016

Happy Smegging Holidays





With Valentines Day and Presidents Day falling back to back, last weekend predictably sucked: Shutouts on Friday and Monday bracketed all of $20 worth of sales over four days. So when someone with no name or callback number left a voicemail on Monday night complaining that my website was borked, I scrambled to investigate. Everything looked hunky-dory, but I was anxious anyway. Surely I'd have a sale waiting on Tuesday morning.

Nope.

Well, OK then. This was supposed to be one of the year's worst weeks, but I really need at least some cash trickling in. Reluctantly, I stepped up my advertising. Spending more money when there's nothing coming in doesn't seem wise, but what else can I do?

Maybe it worked. After a couple of hours I landed a $150 sale -- more than enough to cover the $90 return that finally arrived at the same time. At least that's not hanging over my head anymore.

An hour-long phone consultation with Bing Ad Services (Microsoft) Tuesday afternoon yielded some potentially valuable tips, but it all has to start with making a snippet of Javascript appear on all of my pages. Bing's now-defunct tracking code only appeared on the checkout page. I don't know which PHP file should get that code and my plea for help on Turnkey's forum fell on deaf ears, so Bing is still turned off.

Oh well...today my long-awaited Metal Earth dropship arrangement is supposed to begin. I will soon know if it's going to amount to anything. A couple of Metal Earth sales last week gave me grounds for some cautious optimism.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.

Google Search

Google